Friday, March 13, 2009

Chat With the Nurse, Mad at the Doc

Jenni's nurse came out a few seconds ago and told me that Jenni is doing fine. The nurse seemed very sociable and nice... much better than many of the nurses I have encountered down here in the ICU. I'm glad someone with a good attitude is taking care of Jenni.

She also let me know that the doctor who won't let family stay in the room while he does rounds is on the hall again, so I'm not supposed to go back there until around 11:00 when he finishes. I almost left to go see if I could find a patient advocate, but then the nurse said I could come back. Before I even got the gloves and gown on, the doctor came back down the hall, looked at the nurse, pointed at me, and they kicked me out. He didn't even speak or make eye contact with me... jerk. I am definitely going to go talk to a patient advocate before the end of the day. I realize that she's out of it, but it just pisses me off not being able to be in there with her when the scheduled visiting hours say that I should be able to. It isn't like they're going to extend visiting hours later in the day to make up for the time he's taking away.

Anyway, while I was suiting up, she told me that Jenni has had moments when she was slightly aware. She is responding when people talk to her and she let the nurse know (not sure how... she didn't explain... maybe a nod?) that she wasn't in any pain. The nurse told me that she is constantly on both a sedative and a painkiller, so she feels okay.

In any case, I'm not going to talk to anyone yet because I've got the feeling that this nurse will try to sneak me in if she gets the chance and I want to stay close just in case, but when visitation hours officially end and I know no one will let me come back, I'm going to go have a discussion with someone even if it doesn't amount to anything. Jenni made me promise to be proactive and make sure the doctors do the right thing, so I intend to.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Josh.. I am Kasey Whelton's mom and she sent me this blog. It sounds like you and Jenni are both fighters. You keep it up. But don't forget to let God fight for you too. You are in my prayers. Keep up your diligent efforts on Jenni's behalf. I'm rooting for both of you.
God Bless,
Diane Whelton

Anonymous said...

Josh,

I went to Poland with Jenni and we became very good friends in a very short time. I know how much of a fighter she is, and know that she is a very good judge of character. She has told you to be proactive and stand up for her. I know you will do your best. You will be doing the right thing about talking to a patient advocate. Try not to loose your cool so they can't use that against you. I am praying for a good day and for a good meeting...

Beth Conner Hogan

Anonymous said...

Josh, This is Judy Freeman. Jenni and you have been in my prayers and will continue to be there. Hang in there and don't let anyone keep you from getting the best of care for Jenni which I know you will. If there is anything I can do for you I'll be glad to. You know I'm retired now and have time that I can give. With Love Judy

Anonymous said...

Hey Josh and Jenni!! This is Megan. Just wanted to let you guys know that you are constantly in my thoughts and wish you both the absolute very best. Judi has told me so much about you both and it is amazing to me the strength that you both have. Stay strong and keep fighting!!

Anonymous said...

Josh,
I am also from that Poland mission team. We met at your wedding but I do not know if you remember me. I agree with Beth, about talking to someone about the visitation. I am trying to generate facebook traffic for you to help you out and ofcourse you are in my prayers.

Tiffany Pursley

Anonymous said...

I will pray for Jenni and I will also pray that the Lord will give this doctor some much needed compassion.
I cannot imagine why you, as her husband, should not be allowed to stay with her at all times. Has Jenni ever signed a Health Care Power of Attorney giving you the right to make medical decisions for her? If so, maybe that could be used to help in some way.
Suzanne Timmons

Anonymous said...

Josh, I met Jenni several years ago at Beverly Hills Baptist Church and I think she babysat for me at least once. She is such a wonderful person and I am praying for you guys.
Sarah Forester

Anonymous said...

Hi Josh & Jenni,
My name is Lauren Ames and I went to UNCP with Jenni :) (I graduated in '05) Sara Anastasio made me aware of everything that is going on - please know that I am praying for you both. I am reminded of Psalm 4:8, "I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone O LORD make me dwell in safety." The same God who lovingly protects us and cares for us when we are asleep and most vulnerable is the same mighty God who cares for us when we are awake. I am praying for your meeting with the patient advocate to go smoothly - I am praying for God to go before you and work in his/her heart. I am praying for you both to have a spirit of peace and rest.

I am currently living in Wake Forest, so if I can help you both in any way while Jenni is at Duke, please let me know! I'd be happy to come visit or bring some food (hospital food is not always that tasty!!) Please email me: lauren.ames@hotmail.com or contact me on Facebook

I'm praying for you both!

Anonymous said...

Good luck talking with the patient advocate. I really hope you can straighten everything out, it angers me just reading what that doctor is doing. You and Jenni are both in my prayers.

Kasey

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone Josh..Jenni wants you in the room with her as much as possible and that should be something that is understood and honored. She is dealing with alot in her battle and for that to be her only wish and desire, should really speak volumes. I would explain to him the situation and that you have a right to be with your wife. I know doctors deal with alot in their profession and have probally built a wall up..but a little compassion would not hurt and is in the best insterest of Jenni. I say fight. Again, if there is anything I can do let me know. Much love and prayers. Katie.

Ms.W said...

Continue to pray for Jenni and all the family. May God continue to surround you with His great love. These are hard times but He will supply all your needs. I am one of Judi's nursing instructors.

Mrs. W

Post a Comment

 

Jennibugg's Blogg. Powered By Blogger © 2009 Bombeli | Theme Design: ooruc